Menu
14 LLMs fought 314 Street Fighter matches. Here's who won

14 LLMs fought 314 Street Fighter matches. Here's who won

I benchmarked models in an actual chatbot arena

Banjo Obayomi
Amazon Employee
Published Apr 1, 2024
Last Modified Apr 3, 2024
Have you ever wondered what would happen if we created a new type of benchmark for large language models (LLMs) that goes beyond the typical question-answering and text generation tasks? What if we had an arena where the models could compete against each other in challenges entirely outside their designed purpose?
That's precisely what I explored by pitting LLMs against one another in the classic arcade game, Street Fighter III. In this post I'll go into the details of how I built this unique arena and the fascinating insights learned from watching LLMs battle it out on the virtual streets of Metro City.
Super Attack 2
Super Attack 2 in Action

How It Works

The arena was set up using an emulator running Street Fighter III powered by Diambra and from the work of Stan Girard who open sourced his test bed for this benchmark.
To begin, two random LLMs on Amazon Bedrock are selected to control Ken, and then the test bed executes the following steps:

Gather Game State Data

The current state of the game was continuously read such as the character location, health, and score. This information was then translated into a prompt with all the relevant context for the LLM such as available moves and recommended strategies.
You are very far from the opponent. Move closer to the opponent.Your opponent is on the left.
You can now use a powerfull move. The names of the powerful moves are: Megafireball, Super attack 2.
Your last action was Low. The opponent's last action was Left.
Your current score is 17.0. You are winning. Keep attacking the opponent.
To increase your score, move toward the opponent and attack the opponent. To prevent your score from
decreasing, don't get hit by the opponent.

The moves you can use are:
- Move Closer
- Move Away
- Fireball
- Megapunch
- Hurricane
- Megafireball

Get Player Moves

With the relevant context, a system prompt can be crafted and be sent to the corresponding LLM via Bedrock serverless API. Upon receiving the prompt, each LLM analyzes the game state and picks moves.
def call_llm() -> str:

move_list = "- " + "\n - ".join([move for move in META_INSTRUCTIONS])
system_prompt = f"""You are the best and most aggressive Street Fighter III 3rd strike player in the world.
Your character is {self.character}. Your goal is to beat the other opponent. You respond with a bullet point list of moves.
{self.context_prompt()}
The moves you can use are:
{move_list}
----
Reply with a bullet point list of moves. The format should be: `- <name of the move>` separated by a new line.
Example if the opponent is close:
- Move closer
- Medium Punch

Example if the opponent is far:
- Fireball
- Move closer
"""

prompt = "Your next moves are:"

llm_response = call_bedrock_model(self.model, system_prompt, prompt, bedrock_runtime)
print(f"{self.model} making move {llm_response}")

Move Execution

Finally, the chosen moves were translated back into game commands and executed within the emulator. This closed loop allowed the LLMs to actively participate in the game, effectively "playing" against each other. Now, lets see how the models stacked up against each other.

The LLM Leaderboard

I tracked each LLM's performance using an Elo rating system, similar to those used in chess rankings. This system provided a dynamic leaderboard, showcasing which models adapted best to the fast-paced environment of Street Fighter III. I ran 314 matches with 14 different models
ModelElo
🥇 claude_3_haiku1613.45
🥈 claude_3_sonnet1557.25
🥉 claude_21554.98
claude_instant1548.16
cohere_light1527.07
cohere_command1511.45
titan_express1502.56
mistral_7b1490.06
ai21_ultra1477.17
mistral_8x7b1450.07
The smaller models outperformed larger models in the arena likely due to their lower latency which allowed for quicker reaction times and more moves per match. This highlights an interesting trade-off between size and speed when it comes to playing real time games. Also, no surprise that Anthropic's Claude models top the list, they are currently the best ranked models on several benchmarks.
Model Matchups
Model Matchups
While the leaderboard show which model is on top diving deeper into the matches themselves revealed several insights about how LLMs approached the game.

Interesting Findings

The experiment was not without its quirks. LLMs, while highly intelligent, are not infallible and sometimes displayed behaviors that were both fascinating and humorous:
Hallucinations: Instances of "invalid moves" were recorded, where models would generate actions not applicable or possible within the game. This included moves like "Special Move," "Jump Cancel," and even "Hardest hitting combo of all," showcasing the models' attempts to apply their knowledge creatively.
Refusal to play: Claude 2.1 refused to play and would say" I apologize, upon reflection I do not feel comfortable recommending violent actions or strategies, even in a fictional context." Thankfully the Claude 3 models show a more nuanced understanding of requests, recognize real harm, and refuse to answer harmless prompts much less often.
Claude refusals
Personalized Playstyles: Each LLM seemed to develop its own distinct playstyle. Some favored aggressive tactics, while others took a more defensive, counter-attacking approach. While other just spammed the same move over and over.
Same moves over and over
Spamming attacks is a valid strategy

Getting Started

Ready to run the benchmark on your own? All code and documentation are on GitHub. I'm curious how folks can tweak the prompts, add new LLM contenders, or explore model behaviors further. If you're interested in playing with the winning Claude 3 models check out my getting started guide.
Have an idea or question about the arena? Leave a comment below, and lets build!

Any opinions in this post are those of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of AWS.

12 Comments